If you are brand new to essential oils, I highly recommend you start with Lavender. It is by far one of the most popular oils on the market, and is definitely in the top 30 at Young Living. It is also very versatile, which is why its been dubbed the “Swiss-Army Knife” of essential oils. The first time I smelled lavender was several years ago in an air freshener for my car. I did not care for the scent at all. However, pure lavender oil has a wonderful fresh, clean and floral scent that is also calming to the mind, body and spirit.
Young Living grows lavender on three of their farms located in Utah, Idaho and France. The oil is distilled from the floral part of the lavender plants. It takes roughly 27 sqft of distilled lavender to yield one 15ml bottle of essential oil.
Lavender has been used for at least 2500 years and is believed to originate from the Middle East and India. It was used by the Romans to scent bedding, clothing, baths and even their hair. Botanists of the era praised lavender for its many qualities and uses.
Some of my favorite uses of lavender include:
- After Sun Care
- Over my heart, or in a diffuser to fight feelings of nervous tension. I like to add Frankincense Essential Oil for an added boost.
- Add a drop in my daily moisturizer for skin support.
- DIY Sugar Scrub using Lavender Essential oil, sugar and coconut oil.
- Make the car ride more enjoyable with littles in the back seat by adding a few drops onto a cotton ball, clothes pin (with a felt pad) or tissue and place it inside of the air vents.
- Add 2 drops into your tube of mascara to promote healthy lashes.
- Rub a drop over the bridge of your nose and just above your eyebrows for happy eyes and nasal passage.
Blends well with: (Pretty much anything, but here is a smaller list.)