Frankincense has been one of my favorites since the beginning of my oily journey. It has a nice musky, woodsy, calming aroma
- Did you know along with it being a given as a gift to baby Jesus it has also been referenced in the bible 52 times?
- Legend has it, the trees only grew in the most inhospitable mountainous places which were guarded by dragon-like creatures which would strike at any intruder.
- Harvesting Frankincense is a time consuming process and is still collected the same way as it was many years ago, by hand. A special knife is used to scrap down a small portion of the tree’s bark. Milky liquid races to the surface, later solidifying to a resin to protect the tree’s water from escaping. 10 days later, the resin is scraped off and the tree is cut in the same place a second time. The second wave of sap that rushes to the surface is still unusable but is more aromatic. When the tree is cut a 3rd time, it is a yellow-brown color and is very aromatic. The tree is cut up to 7 times during the season in 5 different places. Each cut produces more resin than the previous – up to 90% more with the 7th cut. The tree is then rested.
- The Resin is then placed in caves to harden for several months. It is then crushed up into a powder and is steam distilled to extract the essential oils. It takes one year to produce the oil, from the time the first cut is made in the tree bark to when it is bottled. This lengthy process is the reason behind this being a more costly oil.
- Frankincense was traded over 5,000 years ago through spice and incense routes in North Africa and on the Arabian Peninsula. It was regarded more valuable than gold. It was also found in King Tut’s Tomb. It scented the Egyptian Temples to honor Ra and Horus. It has also been said that Queen Sheba brought Frankincense trees as a special gift for King Solomon which was a strong sign of honor and respect. Unfortunately, the trees didn’t survive as they were moved out of the arid conditions needed to survive.
Frankincense Essential oil is available in Young Living’s Vitality line. This means it’s been approved by the FDA to use internally. Add a drop or two into a capsule or a favorite drink to take internally for cell health and overall well being.
- Frankincense is a wonderful spiritual oil. Diffuse while doing Yoga or meditating.
- Wear it over your heart or third eye Chakra during times where you are in a spiritual setting, or trying to increase your own spirituality.
- Add a drop or two to your moisturizer to improve your skin quality. You can also apply neat (no carrier) to your face.
- Inhale from the bottle, diffuse or apply topically to help ease feelings of nervous tension.
- Apply topically to the nape of neck and along hairline for head tension.
- Apply topically along spine to support overall health.
It is filled with Monoterpenes (the feel good compound) and Sesquiterpenes. Sesquiterpenes are amazing as they deliver oxygen to the brain cells, erase or rewrite codes in our DNA. As well as stimulate the limbic system of our brain.
Frankincense is a mild oil, but as with all Essential oils, until you know how your body will react it’s best to dilute before use.
Blends well with:
- Clary Sage